Autumn is officially here, which means it’s time to get excited about football, tailgate parties, and cooler temperatures. Well, two out of three isn’t bad.
That’s because although we’re looking forward to cooler temperatures right now in Northern California (and some long-awaited rain!), other parts of Central and Southern California are still expected to climb into the 80’s in October. With many outdoor workers in full harvest mode, it’s important to remain vigilant about heat illness.
Just like a good football team, your business needs to have an effective playbook to guide your “team” through the various game time scenarios. Use the Cal/OSHA resources below as your playbook to develop a successful Heat Illness Prevention Program. The Cal/OSHA resources include a sample program and, best of all, the information is free. Every employer loves to hear those words!
Cal/OSHA Heat Illness Prevention Standard
Cal/OSHA takes heat illness seriously. In 2014 they cited nearly 1,600 violations of the Heat Illness Prevention Standard, making it the second most cited regulation for the year.
The Heat Illness Prevention Standard regulation has been in place for about 10 years. It focuses on the importance of businesses implementing an effective Heat Illness Prevention Program that ensures employees are provided with the water, shade, rest periods and training to help prevent heat illness.
Revisions to the Standard
Heat illness prevention has been a hot topic of discussion over the past few years and revisions to the regulation went into effect on May 1, 2015. If you’re not aware of the changes, then you’re more than five months behind, and your business needs to get onboard in a hurry.
Use the Cal/OSHA resources to develop an effective Heat Illness Prevention Program for your business.
Cal/OSHA Heat Illness Resources
- Cal/OSHA Heat Illness Prevention eTool: http://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/etools/08-006/index.htm
- Cal/OSHA Heat Illness Prevention Regulation: http://www.dir.ca.gov/title8/3395.html
- Cal/OSHA Guidance on Revised Heat Illness Regulations: http://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/documents/Heat-Illness-Prevention-Regulation-Amendments.pdf
- Cal/OSHA Enforcement Heat Illness Prevention Q&A: http://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/heatIllnessQA.html
- Cal/OSHA Heat Illness Prevention Information: http://www.dir.ca.gov/DOSH/HeatIllnessInfo.html